Do you always make way too much rice? Or pasta? Me too…
This unfortunate kitchen classic is usually followed by the same question: “What am I gonna do with all of this!?”
With Pasta, you can make a Pasta Bake. You can easily sneak in Quinoa or Barley in a salad. Leftover Rice is great for Fried Rice.
Just add whatever is in your fridge, a couple of eggs and let it all cook together in a pan. Voila – Fried Rice!
This time, I used Carrots, Red Cabbage and Snow Peas. So easy, quick, and delicious!
Any veggie will do, so get creative!
The quantities will depend on the amount of rice you have.
This recipe is enough for 3 to 4 people.
“Leftover Fried Rice”
- Pre-cooked rice (whatever you have…)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 Small Red Cabbage, chopped
- A handful of Snow Peas, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. Peanut Oil (or any cooking oil you have)
- 1 tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp. Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Stock Powder (or 1 cube), Curry Powder, Tumeric Powder, Cumin, Black Pepper.
As always, use whatever spice you have / like! These are the ones I used.
- 1 chopped Spring Onion
- 1/4 bunch of Coriander, chopped
- A Handful of Peanuts
- In a hot large Pan or Wok, pour the Peanut Oil and add 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder and 1 teaspoon of Stock Powder.
After a few seconds, add the diced Carrot. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the Rice, then the chopped Cabbage. Give it a good stir, then crack the two Eggs on top of the Rice.
- Scramble the eggs with the rice, carrot and cabbage.
Add the Sesame Oil, Sweet Soy Sauce and Soy Sauce, then the chosen Spices.
Give it a good stir and let it cook for a few minutes on high.
Make sure the bottom is not burning – if so, lower the heat slightly.
- Add the Snow Peas, and after a couple of minutes, remove the pan from the stove.
- Serve in deep plates with a sprinkle of Spring Onion, Coriander and Peanuts.
Make sure to let me know how creative you got, and what ingredients you used for your version of “Leftover Fried Rice”!