If you love Middle Eastern food, have some vegan friends coming over for dinner and are not sure what to cook, this five part “Vegan Mezze” Series is for you!
For those wondering what a “Mezze” is, it is a selection of small dishes traditionally served in the Middle East, Greece or Turkey. Lebanese food is one of my (and my family) favourite cuisine and it really inspired me for this dinner!
For your reference, all the recipes included in this series were used for a 7-people dinner. You can also obviously use all these recipes separately as side dishes.
I almost never eat cooked beetroots but for this occasion, I thought that roasting Beetroots with a Pomegranate and Raspberry Glaze could be delicious and create a nice caramelisation. The Pomegranate brings some sweetness to the vegetable’s earthy flavour while the Raspberry adds some tanginess.
Roasting it in the oven also allows for the centre to stay nice and soft while the outside of the vegetable becomes almost crunchy.
The recipe is fairly simple, but it requires two ingredients that you may not already have in your pantry: Pomegranate Molasse and Raspberry Coulis.
Pomegranate Molasse is usually easily found in any Middle Eastern supermarket, but you can also make your own by bringing Pomegranate Juice to a boil with a little bit of sugar and let it reduce until sticky.
I make my own Raspberry Coulis that I use in all sorts of recipes, but it is again something you should be able to find in the supermarket. If not, follow the same principle than for the Pomegranate Molasse: bring some Raspberry Juice or Fresh Raspberries to a boil in a pot with sugar and let it reduce until liquid. Be careful not to push it too far and let it turn into jam!
Roasted Beetroots with Pomegranate and Raspberry Glaze
What you will need:
- 4 large Beetroots
- 1/4 cups Pomegranate Molasse
- 1/4 cups Raspberry Coulis
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper, Cumin Powder and Garlic Power to taste.
- Fresh Mint Leaves and Pomegranate Seeds for decoration and finish
- Preheat the oven at 180°.
- Peel the Beetroots and cut them in quarters.
- Put them on a deep cooking tray and cook in the oven for 15 to 20min.
- While the Beetroots are cooking, prepare de Glaze: mix the Pomegranate Molasse, Raspberry Coulis, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Spices in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Remove the Beetroots for the oven and coat with the Glaze.
Make sure they are evenly coated.
- Put back in the oven for another 15 to 20min and remove when the Beetroots are caramelised.
- Remove the tray from the oven.
- Chop some Mint Leaves and sprinkle over the roasted Beetroots with fresh Pomegranate Seeds.
If you are not looking for a vegan dish, you can also add some feta crumbs on the Beetroots before the second round in the oven.
Stay tuned for the second part of this Vegan Mezze Series!